So a few weekends ago I went to a friends house for a dinner party and she made the most scrumptous recipe by Barefoot Contessa. I have already made it twice since then, and everyone has raved about it asking for the recipe. (Note: It isn't healthy by any means but it's fast, easy, and appears like you've been slaving in the kitchen all day...perfect right)!?
So here it is: Penne with 5 Cheeses
1 lb penne
2 cups cream (I used heavy cream)
1 cup crushed tomatoes (from a can)
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (or romano)
1/4 cup gorgonzola, crumbled
2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated fontina
1/4 lb mozzarella cheese (as fresh as possible)
1/4 cup slivered fresh basil leaf
6 teaspoons butter (approximate, butter is to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook penne for just 4 minutes (or until barely al dente, as it will cook more in the oven); drain well.
3. Meanwhile, in a very large mixing bowl, combine the cream, crushed tomatoes, cheeses and basil.
4. On the show, very fresh buffalo mozzarella was used, and it was cut into slices and then slivered (much like a julienne); I'm sure shredded mozzarella would work just fine.
5. Add cooked, drained penne to sauce and stir well.
7. Fill a shallow casserole dish, such as a 13x9 pan, then dot butter over surface in small pieces.
8. Bake in preheated oven for approx. 30/35 minutes until top is browned.
Then served with a tossed green salad and some fresh bread....Mmmm....enjoy!