We have been having a LOT of rain lately here on the East coast so I decided to break out my Cooks Illustrated cookbook & try a homemade soup recipe. I picked the Tortilla Soup. It is awesome! This is a must try and you will not be disappointed at all....oh, and the best part is that it only takes 30 minutes.
6 C low-sodium ckn broth (suggested brand, Swanson Nat'l Goodness)
1 lb. bonless, skinless ckn. breasts, S&P
1 T vegetable oil
1 onion, minced
1 T minced chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (found in the int'l food aisle) - you can freeze the rest of chilies too!
2 t tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T fresh lime juice
4 oz. tortilla chips, crushed into lg. pieces (about 4 C)
3 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped
1 ripe avocado, pitted & cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 C fresh cilantro leaves
(T = tbsp., t = tsp., C = cup)
1. Heat broth: bring to a boil, covered, in a large saucepan and set aside.
2. Season & brown chicken: Meanwhile, pat ckn. dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large dutch oven over med-high heat until just smoking. Add ckn. and cook until lightly browned on both sides, about 5 mins. Transfer ckn. to plate.
3. Brown onions and add seasonings: Add onion and 1/2 t salt to far left in dutch oven and cook over med-high heat until lightly browned, 3- 5 minutes. Stir in chipotle, tomato paste, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add broth and poach chicken: Turn heat to low and stir in hot broth, scraping up any browned bits. Add browned ckn. Cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in center, about 10 mins. Remove ckn. from pot. Increase heat to med-high and cook to meld flavors, 5 mins.
5. Shred Ckn, season, and finish: While soup is simmering, shred ckn. into bite-sized pieces. Off heat, stir in lime juice and season with S&P to taste. Divide tortilla chips, shredded ckn., tomatoes, and avocado among the individual bowls. Ladle broth over each bowl, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.
To store the soup, make sure you do not add the tortilla chips because they will get soggy.